- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces (one stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 pound (2 cups) pitted dates, preferably a meaty variety, such as Medjool, cut into large pieces
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with baking parchment and brush with just enough melted butter to lightly coat the surface.
2. Sift together dry ingredients. In an electric mixer (see *Note), beat melted butter and sugar together, then add eggs and beat for one minute on lowest speed.
3. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until just incorporated. Add dates, nuts and chocolate chips, and stir to just combine. Spread batter into prepared backing dish and gently press down.
4. Bake 35 minutes or until golden. Cool before cutting into squares. Store in a lidded tin or plastic container.
*Note: If you don’t have a mixer, melt butter in small saucepan, remove from heat, and stir in sugar. Remove from heat. Beat eggs in a separate bowl and slowly incorporate into butter mixture. Add dried ingredients, stir until smooth, and then add remaining ingredients.