- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole trout, cleaned and deboned, or 4 trout fillets
- 1 large pasture-raised egg
- ¼ cup half-and-half (ideally raw or non-homogenized grassfed)
- ½ cup home-milled soft white wheat flour or organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped almonds
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, thyme, parsley or basil
- Lemon wedges
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavity of each trout. If using fillets, season them with salt and pepper.
2. In a shallow dish, beat the egg and whisk in the half-andhalf. Put the flour in another shallow dish. Dip the trout into the egg mixture and then the flour. Shake off the excess flour and set the fish aside on a large plate.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until light brown and flaky on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. Transfer the fish to a plate and cover to keep warm.
4. Return the pan to the heat and melt the butter. Add the almonds and sauté until golden brown. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and herbs. Spoon the almonds and butter sauce over the fish and serve with lemon wedges on the side.