- 1¾ cups heritage grain flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Garnish (optional): chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, dill or thyme; sea salt, cracked black pepper or other seasonings
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Texture should be firm and not too tacky.
2. Feed dough through a pasta machine set on 5; alternatively, use a rolling pin to roll dough to desired thickness. If dough is too sticky, add a bit of flour. Scatter dough with herbs or other seasoning, if using, and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
3. Bake until golden brown. When cool, break into large shards; if not using immediately, store cooled crackers in a parchment- lined airtight container for up to 1 week.