- 2 pounds chanterelles, brushed clean, trimmed of any brown or mushy parts, and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup (or to taste) Asian chili paste, such as sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
Yield: 3-4 half-pint jars
1. Place mushrooms in bowl and cover in salt, tossing to mix well. Let sit for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl to form marinade (you may wish to add the chili paste in increments).
2. Add marinade to mushrooms, and adjust seasoning to taste. Place mixture in sterilized canning jars and refrigerate up to two weeks. Allow to marinate at least two days before using.
Recipe by Nathan King