- ½ cup home-milled soft white wheat flour or organic whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats (not quickcooking)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for coating the ramekins
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut into small dice (about 2 cups)
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine the flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and lightly knead with your hands until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Mix in the walnuts.
3. Coat 4 (4-inch) ramekins with butter and fill with the diced pears. Sprinkle each ramekin with a quarter of the flour mixture. Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Serve the crisp warm in the ramekins, topped with a scoop of ice cream.